Rather than a Ubuntu Tweak alternative, Ailurus is the kind of app you can use along Ubuntu Tweak. Ailurus is available for Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint while Ubuntu Tweak is a dedicated Ubuntu only application.
- 'Study Linux' feature included in Ailurus is pretty good at teaching the Linux basics to beginners. You can even set it to display Linux tips each time you login to your system.
- Install many useful applications easily.
- Enable a number of third party repositories quite easily.
- Display of basic hardware information which is so useful at times.
- Clean APT/YUM cache.
- Backup and recover APT/YUM status.
- Change GNOME settings. Ailurus invokes GConf API, to change GNOME settings.
- Easily enable Gnome Control Center using Ailurus.
How to install Latest Ailurus 10.06.93 in Ubuntu Lucid, Karmic?
- Open Terminal(Applications - Accessories - Terminal) and copy-paste the following lines one by one into Terminal.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ailurus && sudo apt-get update
- Done. Now install latest Ailurus in Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.
sudo apt-get install ailurus
- Done. Launch Ailurus. Goto Applications - System Tools - Ailurus.
- Ailurus for Fedora and other distros can be downloaded from here.